Friday, March 5, 2010

The quilt that started it all.

About a year and a half ago I was at a pretty hard place in my life. I had been struggling with problems with my health. There wasn't anything new about this, I have had this health "challenge" my whole life. What became more and more apparent was that I could no longer pursue my chosen career and maintain my health at the same time.

I had moved to California about 6 or 7 years before to pursue my Masters degree in Psychology. I wanted to become a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. As anyone who has gone on this path knows, it can take a long time and be a ton of work to become a licensed therapist!
I finished my Masters in 2006 and began working towards my license. I loved the work, it was amazing! My health suffered though, I was constantly in and out of the hospital.

It came to a point where I had to decide, do I continue on this path or do I stop and take care of my failing health. I knew the decision I had to make, but it was devastating. I was heartbroken. I had worked so hard up to this point, I couldn't imagine making this sacrifice.

One morning I woke up and knew that I needed to make a "sad" quilt. Many times I had suggested to my clients to create some piece of art to help them heal. I absolutely believe that part of what is amazing about creating is that healing that can happen. My "Sad Quilt" was going to be dark black, blue and gray and I was going to put one "happy" square in the mix. I talked to my sister about this quilt, who is a very accomplished quilter, and she helped me bring life to this quilt. My "happy" square actually became a very vibrant back piece of the quilt!

I worked on it for a few months and I began to feel a sense of aliveness again. This is it, I will create! I had always drawn, painted, crafted, taken art classes, been "arty". This quilt though was something that covered me when I was sad and comforted me. It seems so basic, a blanket. But knowing that I made this blanket, this quilt, that brought healing to me, I felt a lifting of my sadness and was instead surrounded by its warmth.




1 comment:

Michelle said...

I am moved!!! I want to give you a HUGE FAT hug!!!!! =)