Friday, March 19, 2010

Mason's quilt.

I decided to make a small quilt for our new puppy's crate where he sleeps at night. Using two of my boyfriend's old button down work shirts I improvised this quilt. I used the sleeves, two front panels and back panel of the shirts. Cutting them into 2'x 2' squares I sewed these squares into 32' strips. Then I sewed each 32' strip together, added orange strips to frame quilt. I used the blue shirt as the binding strip to finish the quilt.


I used leftover fabric from DJ's quilt (see blog post from June 10, 2009) for the back panel. This was a very simple quilt to make! I loved including elements from the shirts, like hints of the cuff or front pocket. I also purposely made the checkerboard pattern wonky to go along with the playfulness of our puppy. This quilt is a great way to reuse old clothes you no longer wear and add a sense of personality at the same time. Give it a try!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

AW! I love the 2nd picture with his arms crossed!!!! CUTE!

Katie said...

Great to see your work!! He looks so cute on his quilt!

This Mommy Made It said...

Mason was so patient when he was getting his picture taken! He loves it when I lay out my quilts on the bed. He always comes in and wants to help.