Saturday, March 6, 2010

Collection of quilts.

I want to highlight various quilts that other people have given me. I didn't realize I had so many! This first one I want to show off is a lap quilt my sister made for me a few years ago. I love pink and cherry blossoms, so this quilt was a nice surprise.

There is a book series I am reading called the Elm Creek Quilt novels by Jennifer Chiaverini. Her website is elmcreek.net. This series brings you into a world of women who love all things quilting. Along the way they not only learn about themselves but about past generations of women and how important quilts were.

In some ways quilting is a forgotten art form. You can buy mass produced quilts at many chain stores, which I admit I have a white and blue one I use from time to time! (pics to come soon!) One thing I love about quilting is that there are so many layers of meaning and symbolism within the quilt blocks themselves. The different placement of triangles, squares and circles can tell a wide range of stories. Personally I am at the very beginning in my understanding!

In the weeks to come I will begin exploring various blocks, their meanings and how they fit into the modern quilt movement.

Below is the quilt I just finished. This picture was taken a few days ago when I was doing the last bit of quilting. Soon I will have some current pictures of the whole quilt.

No comments: