Monday, March 1, 2010

Dabbling in different crafts.




It seems I have found the crafty thing to do. Making quilts. Don't get me wrong, I still love all of the other stuff I have been doing. I think back over the last couple years I jumped from one craft to another.
For the longest time I was religiously making cards and sending them out to all of my friends and relatives throughout the year. I even dabbled in selling them at flea markets in Berkeley, CA and at various craft shows. I loved making them, but I began to get restless and a little lost for ideas.

Then I took up scrapbooking. In some ways its the next step from making cards! It never quite became an "obsession" of mine because I didn't print out my pictures often enough!

Recently over the winter holidays I took up crocheting. It's something I learned from my Grandma when I was a little girl, and was surprised how quickly I could pick it up again. I learned how to do the Amigurumi style of crochet and made many, many stuffed animals! I could sit for hours crocheting! My hands and wrists began to hurt so I had to stop.


I am excited now because I have moved onto quilting. This first quilt I made was maybe a year ago. It was a very simple one, but large enough to fit on our queen size bed so I felt pretty good about that! Then I made one for my nephew and loved making it! The quilt consisted of a mix of nine square patches and Pokemon squares. Then I outlined it in two shades of blue and a red binding. The back panel is a world map fabric. I had been working on some map puzzles with my nephew, so I liked this little personal touch to the quilt.


Right now I am working on a pretty simple rainbow type color scheme mixed with panels of white fabric. My crafting budget has been very puny lately so my sister had been kind enough to pass on some of her remnants to me! I am finishing the quilting and have to figure out what fabric I am going to use for the binding.














Pinning the quilt.















Our puppy Mason helping me pin my quilt!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Great to see the progression of your crafting!! And cute pic of Mason helping!