Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Beginners mind.

When thinking about today's post I kept hearing in my mind the phrase "beginners mind". It basically means setting aside all of your judgments, preconceived ideas about outcome and being eager and open to the process.

As a beginning quilter I am truly struggling with learning something new. I can't help but compare myself to others, feel frustrated with my mistakes, and have moments where I feel completely discouraged.

Some of you know my "story" and others don't. About a year and a half, to two years ago I decided to let go of my chosen career path. It was something that I was (and still am, but in a different way) deeply passionate about. I had gotten my master's degree, began working in this field and felt I was pretty good at what I was doing. As painful as it was I had to let this all go due to major health issues.

Some time has passed and after much searching I feel I have finally found something I am passionate about again. That new passion is Quilting. I want to know all there is to know about it, I want to become really good at it, and I want to help others in someway through my quilting.

But as a beginner, wow, it is a rough place to be in. I don't think I have set my goals too high, I know it's possible to do well because I love quilting. I just wanted to put this out there. That I am trying to be open to what comes with learning and trying this new path.

No comments: