Thursday, December 2, 2010

Sewing a doll

I have a few patterns for making dolls and wanted to try making one. I decided to use the Simplicity pattern, # 2809, I got from Joann's. What I really liked about this pattern is all the clothes you can make for the dolls and also cute little stuffed animals for the dolls to hold.

Right now I have the body, legs and head finished. I realized that I sewed the legs on crooked and need to take them out and redo them. Unfortunately the fabric I am using for the body, a cotton felt (got it from my sister, so not sure exactly what the felt mix it is) is kind of delicate and does not hold up well to being seam ripped and re-sewn! This has turned into a learning project!!





I am not sure if you have used Simplicity patterns before but I have found myself having to change some of the steps in this pattern that don't make sense or add more work to making this doll.
The pattern calls for you to sew the head closed, except for the opening for the neck, and then hand sew on the ears. I thought it would look better to sew the ears on from the inside of the head, which turned out so much better.
I think the clothes for this doll will be really cute and I am also going to make it a little quilt and pillow with pillow cases! So cute!!

2 comments:

Granny said...

I don't always follow patterns. I've found that there are sometimes quicker and easier ways to put itmes together, especially stuffed toys and dolls.

That doll is going to be really cute. Looking forward to seeing the finished doll and doll quilt.

Michelle R. Slape said...

Can't wait to see the finished doll!