Friday, December 17, 2010

Quilting with the Cricut

Anyone have a Cricut? I bought my Cricut from an infomercial a few years ago. In that infomercial they show you how to cut fabric out using the machine and using it for applique's on quilts. I recently decided to give it a try, again.

I say again, because when I originally tried cutting fabric with the Cricut, I had a horrible time! I looked on youtube.com and found a wonderful explanation by TheScrapReview.

One of the great tips from this video is to use Scotch Blue Painter's Tape. I ran out to Target, since I was doing Christmas shopping there anyway, and pick up some tape.


I am making a blanket for a friend of mine, well really for her dog. I met her at the local dog park, which has been an amazing place to meet some really great people. My friend loves to buy sweaters for all the little dogs, and furnished my Mason with a great winter wardrobe. I wanted to thank her for her generosity with a cute little quilt!

These are the accent colors. Very bright, I know, but they go great with the Spongebob fabric for the quilt.

Both colors now have the Steam-a-Seam 2 lite on the back.

The fabric is loaded in the Cricut ready to cut.

Well, after all of that I couldn't get it to work! Sometimes part of using the Cricut, it's really about trial and error. I think I need a new mat because it may not be sticky enough. I will try again.

2 comments:

Granny said...

Oh darn, don't you hate that when something doesn't work like it's supposed to? Hope the new mat will work for you.

Michelle R. Slape said...

Bring your mat over to my place. I have the adhesive remover/replacement spray to make it like new!