Saturday, July 24, 2010

Make it Lite!

Applique, I continue to work on my skills. You see right now my applique knowledge is at a medium level from all the reading I have done on this technique. But getting comfortable with actual applique is still new to me.
Yesterday I went to Joanns, 40% off coupon in hand, and bought this lovely pack of fusible web sheets.




I was thinking I originally wanted a fusible web that wasn't double sided, but not sure now that I roll it around in my noggin if that would work. I really want something that doesn't add bulk to my applique, since right now the applique flowers I already made with a regular Steam-A-Seam2 are super stiff and will have to come off the Flowering Vines quilt.


You can't tell in this picture, but it's like cardboard and will totally not work on this quilt! I love this flower though, oh it's cute.

I went searching for more info on fusible web applique technique the other day and stumbled upon critterpat's channel on Youtube. The lovely Deborah Konshinsky had a whole video series on Machine Applique. This particular video is Machine Applique part 2 raw edge:




I like the raw edge and the "drawing" on the applique, there seems to be so much freedom in this technique. I need all the space to be creative and explore. Not that anyone is holding me back, but my own sense of needing to be perfect!

Here is my first quick attempt at using the Lite fusible web and machine applique raw edge technique (whew).


I had to mess with the tension a little to get the stitches looking and working how I wanted but I love how soft and pliable this turned out, and I can't wait to keep going!

No comments: